GetJSON in Safari on MacBook v. Safari on iPhone with 10.2.1

@sbyates, I thought about this a bit more. Why are you using Volt? What are you expecting the Volt server to do for your app? It maybe that you can just host your app within your network.

If you wanted to have a Appstudio app, running on an iPad, on a network, ping a server on that network, how would you do it? I was hopeful that GetJSON would work, given that ultimately I will have the iPad and the server all sitting on the network.

Working in Xcode and Swift would do it, there are plenty of cocoa add-ons that allow secure yet easy access to retrieve data from client side servers. However I’d rather not go through the app store submission process with this since it’s a one off. So I kinda in a quandary here… thanks for any advice you’d have in advance.

Real quick:

Assumptions - All devices and servers are on the same network.

1. Add a ping page on your server that provides the info you need.
  2. Use getJSON to ping the ping page.
  3. Capture the result.
  4. Crack open a couple of coolers. Celebrate!

Yes! That is my intent, exactly. Especially 4.

However, let me ask this basic question: (and I apologize for monopolizing your Saturday) Assuming then, that I’m not using Volt, I need to reply to a local folder. So this is pretty much a newbie question clearly. I can then load that image into a web browser? Pretty basic I know. Perhaps that’s what I’m missing. I don’t have experience with Phonegap and a Windows executable is out of the question since I’m not running Windows anywhere.

Thank you again.

What OS are you running?

Mac OS Sierra

but I’d run the app on iOS, latest version.

If you are allowed, you can run MAMP on OS X or WAMP on Windows.

Those will allow you to serve up files. There are other ways but it will require CLI commands.