Google Map not showing

Thanks.

If you are saying that I started a paragraph with a tab, I don’t think that I did so. I pasted some errors for your analysis. Perhaps they contained an ascii 9?

Hello,

Thanks for the reference to the plugin. I have a couple of questions:

Does using that plugin indicate that the GoogleMap in Appstudio was not intended to work in Android apps that are built with PhoneGap?

If so, should I delete the instance of that map in my application?

I haven’t had success in building the app with the cordova GoogleMap plugin. This is the declaration that I’m using in the config.xml:

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-googlemaps" spec="2.3.6">
<variable name="API_KEY_FOR_ANDROID" value="my-map-key" />   
</plugin>

Here is what you posted - see the spaces/tabs at the beginning of the line? I have since corrected it.

It may be what you received, but it’s not what I posted. Perhaps it’s a Thunderbird thing? Here’s a screen shot from my original email:

Here is a hex file of the original email source. As you can see, there are no leading spaces or tabs at the beginning of the sentence. I pursue this minutiae for two reasons: I want to ensure that my posts are following proper form, and not disruptive; I don’t like to be unjustly accused.

I tried to run AppStudio this morning, and received a fatal error (the infamous “script could not be executed” one). I recalled what I had to do when that happened previously: Delete the registry entry for AppStudio and re-enter my serial number. In light of recent events, it was particularly poignant…

Looks like Thunderbird is indeed the culprit for the formatting problem:

Did deleting the registry enter cure the problem?

Yes. Of course, it wipes out existing settings (MRU, and my PhoneGap key), but they’re easily replaced.

Did deleting the registry enter cure the problem?

I hope that this reply doesn’t send extraneous tabs…

I have (sort of) followed your lead in using the SMS plugin, and tried to apply it to the Googlemap plugin that you recommended. I think that I’m close, but can’t get a successful compile.

Here is how I am adding that GoogleMap plugin in config.xml:

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-googlemaps" spec="2.3.6" source="npm" />
<variable name="API_KEY_FOR_ANDROID" value="aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"/>
<variable name="API_KEY_FOR_IOS" value="" />

When the compilation fails, PhoneGap reports this error:

Error - One of your plugins requires a parameter: API_KEY_FOR_ANDROID

Apparently, I am not declaring the variable or its value correctly…

Any insights will be appreciated.

I think I asked this before - substituting a value for “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa”?

Also, you’d better use the web interface instead of Thunderbird. I’m having to clean up every one of your messages.

You hadn’t asked, but that’s just my obfuscation of my Google Maps API Key. I’m using a valid one.

Yes, that seems to be the only way to avoid the problem. There is no setting in TB to change that behavior.

Sorry - I thought I’d asked about the key already.

The docs says this:

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-googlemaps" spec="2.3.6">
    <variable name="API_KEY_FOR_ANDROID" value="(api key)" />
    <variable name="API_KEY_FOR_IOS" value="(api key)" />
  </plugin>

Do you have the /plugin statement in your config?

Also, do you have PhoneGap version set to cli-8.0.0?

Here is the exact syntax that I just used, and it still won’t compile without error:

This is the error that PhoneGap displays when I use the previous syntax (with PhoneGap version set to cli-8.0.0.

Error: Source path does not exist: icons/android/ldpi.png
at updatePathInternal (/cordova/node_modules/cordova-common/src/FileUpdater.js:145:19)
at /cordova/node_modules/cordova-common/src/FileUpdater.js:223:19
at Array.forEach (native)
at Object.updatePaths (/cordova/node_modules/cordova-common/src/FileUpdater.js:221:33)
at updateIcons (/cordova/lib/prepare.js:388:17)
at /cordova/lib/prepare.js:49:9
at _fulfilled (/cordova/node_modules/q/q.js:854:54)
at self.promiseDispatch.done (/cordova/node_modules/q/q.js:883:30)
at Promise.promise.promiseDispatch (/cordova/node_modules/q/q.js:816:13)
at /cordova/node_modules/q/q.js:624:44

The “…path does not exist” error appears to be a known problem among NSB users. Here is a discussion thread: How can one fix the error Source path does not exist: icons/android/ldpi.png? - PhoneGap - AppStudio

There was a user’s cryptic solution, but a request for a demo config.xml went unanswered.

That’s a different problem. Could you put it into another thread?