JQuery or Bootstrap?

I’m starting a new project. Do I learn/change to Bootstrap 4 or stick to my knitting, which I’m already confident in, JQuery?

Can Bootstrap 4 and jqWidgets be used together?

Definitely Bootstrap 4. jQuery Mobile is effectively dead - it hasn’t been updated by its authors since 2014.

jqWidgets and Bootstrap 4 are fine together.

George, I’m confused about your response… It was my understanding that JQM was updated 2018 which included a change in the name of the Collapsible Control.
Bootstrap 4, I don’t believe, has the equivalent control (which, for me, is essential for apps in the mobile environment in which there is a need to make available more data than can fit on one screen.)
Tom

The last release by jQM that I know of was an alpha of 1.5, back in January 2017. The last stable release was 2014.

Ahhh… so the change was a renaming of the Collapsible control done in the NSB version 7 update. It wasn’t an update by the jQM team… Did jQM change the name in the alpha 1.5 in January 2017?

They “started” to update JQM. All the pending bugs were “fixed” some deprecated stuff was removed and the code was considered pushed to Alpha.

To my knowledge, no test suits were developed and the existing test suits were NOT run on JQM.

JQM is dead. Even if you did get the the alpha version to work, it will be years before it’s pushed to beta and several more years before it’s moved to release. :wink:

Thanks, Phil… wish I knew this before writing over 60 Apps with a total of over 300 instances of “Collapsible”.

Tom

Even jQuery Mobile was planning to get rid of Collapsible:

Note: Collapsible is deprecated as of version 1.5 and will be removed in version 1.6. Use accordion in place of collapsible.

https://api.jquerymobile.com/collapsible/

Could not find any documentation for Accordion on the JQM site.

The reference to Accordion was on jQuery Mobile’s site, on the page linked.

When I click on the link provided in your reply of yesterday (Jan 2), it takes me to the jQueryMobile site, but says the page can not be found… I do a search for “Accordion” on that site and result is same, page can not be found. As Phil (PPetree) said, JQM, for all intent and purposes, really is dead. I’ll switch to Bootstrap 4. Thanks for your patience on this.

Jquery site/forums are just ridiculous to navigate.

1.4.5 is the only stable version of JQM and it uses the collapsible (by name). The accordion (by name) is a part of jquery.ui. I’m not at all clear on what the long term plans WERE for JQM but I get the sense they wanted to cut all the UI components out of JQM and then use UI as the replacement.

I use the collapsible quite heavily on one page and I find they work well enough…

<div data-role="collapsible-set" class="mylists"  data-theme="b" data-content-theme="b" data-inset="true">
        <div data-role="collapsible" data-collapsed="true" id="myClass" style="display:none;">
            <h3>Sample Title
            <span id="st_count" class="ui-li-count" style="float:right;">0</span></h3>
            <ul id="stDataList" data-role="listview"></ul>
        </div>
        <div data-role="collapsible" data-collapsed="true">
          <h3>Title Text
          <span id="tt_count" class="ui-li-count" style="float:right;">0</span></h3>
          <ul id="ttDataList" data-role="listview"></ul>			
        </div>		     	
      </div>

Thanks, Phil… I’ll use Bootstrap from now on… JQM is too ‘iffy’.

Right behind you… not sure if I’ll do bootstrap or react but this is my last project with jQuery or JQM.

I agree about jQM - but there’s nothing wrong with jQuery itself. It was originally developed to plug a bunch of holes in JavaScript/DOM handling. A lot of these have been resolved by extensions to JavaScript, so jQuery isn’t as necessary any more. But it’s still handy to use and doesn’t cause any harm.

I agree. JQuery doesn’t cause any harm.

I would add a BUT… it doesn’t help in anyway (at least not in any way not available elsewhere) either.

This is where tools suppliers miss the boat: the problem is, Cordova/Phonegap developers are looking for ease of development and time to market. That means we want frameworks with stable, modern and continual upgrades.

Most Cordova devs are not mobile app devs, they’re web devs thrust into a new role (sometimes part-time) that is completely foreign to them. Cordova is oversold as the “easy solution to building cross platform apps” and it’s neither easy nor fast(er).

When looking at ui frameworks (ie JQM) for all the usual widgets needed in a web app, we want speed, cross platform compatibility and a modern look and feel… there really isn’t a good choice from anyone.

In my case I have dozens of apps out and a deep reserve of prewritten functions (about, help, profile mgt, onboarding, in-app-purchases etc) and it’s all in JQM. That means that after this project, I spend the next few months porting a ton of code to something… and hope I make the right call.

[insert long sigh and eye roll]