What does it take to use BlueHost as ISP for a web site?

I have purchased a domain name which is hosted on BlueHost. I was thinking at the time that I would create the web site, used to showcase the apps and sell them, using WordPress. When I started looking at WordPress in some depth, I found it difficult to find a combination of Template and Plug-ins that would meet my needs.

I then realized that I would really like to design/build the Web Site (let’s call it the Distribution App Site (DAS)) using NSBAppStudio to create a webapp, thus giving me the ability to provide the look and feel as well as functionality that I needed.

In Tech Notes>>Distributing your App, there is a sentence… “Deploy to FTP Server” in Deploy options and fill in the Server, Path, Username and password.” That seems pretty straight forward and doable by me. However, as I kept reading, it looked like there was a lot more to “Deploy to FTP Server” than just filling in the Server, Path, Username and password.

So, my questions to anyone who has used BlueHost as their ISP for a webapp

1. Can I use a BlueHost ISP for my DAS webapp?
  2. I assume the answer is “Yes” and if it is, then is “deploying to BlueHost ISP, my domain” more than just filling in the Server, Path, Username and password?
  3. If answer is “Yes”, what sections/paragraphs/sentences need to be done in addition to “filling in Server, Path, Username and password”?
  1. Others here have used Bluehost - hopefully they can chime in.

2. If the host is configured properly, just that screen in Preferences needs to be filled in.
    Preferences - NSB App Studio

3. That should be it.

Are you using any PHP? If not, have you considered using Volt?

I host my domains on Bluehost and deploy my NSB apps there as well.

.htaccess will need to be configured. This might work for you:

# Use PHP5CGI as default
AddHandler fcgid-script .php
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthUserFile "/home/your_user_name/.htpasswds/public_html/passwd"
AddType text/cache-manifest .appcache .manifest
# BEGIN Caching
<ifmodule mod_headers.c>
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, public, must-revalidate"
</ifmodule>
# END Caching

Replace your_user_name with your Bluehost user id/name. Consider using their https secure server certificate. Before NSB I wrote my domain web pages in html and needed to have at least two different sets of html code to work on PCs and small devices. I now write my website pages using NSB as responsive apps so that they work good across all platforms and only one set of code to maintain (see prograsa.com).

John

JohnC, thank you… I’m still up in the air as to what to do (WordPress vs. NSB app)…

Tom

I haven’t used WordPress. For me, I’d want it to work across platforms with a responsive design. Maybe others have some feedback.

John

All the apps I’ll feature on the BlueHost site are responsive design (all written with NSB), but I hadn’t thought of the fact that if I use WordPress for the BlueHost site (for marketing and distribution), it would NOT be responsive, and thus not usable from mobile devices which are my target… Thank you!

TomC

Back to the question I asked earlier - Are you using any PHP? If not, have you considered using Volt?

Do not use PHP… and do use Volt extensively.

I’m sitting here asking why did George ask me this question twice in relation to using Bluehost… and the answer just dawned on me… I could host the marketing/distribution app (written in NSB)
on Volt…
Do I have that right?

Correct. The main reason we made Volt was to make it easy for AppStudio users to host their apps. You can even set your own domain to point to Volt.

http://wiki.nsbasic.com/Custom_Domains